Wednesday, October 22, 2014

The aftermath of Diwali

If only you could fathom the pain that an allergic person has to go through the morning after Diwali night with the particles and smell of firecrackers all around.
If only you could sense the annoyance the sound of crackers causes an old person suffering from an agonizing disease.
If only you could understand the fear of an infant, and the impact of noise on their development.
If only you could see the dogs running for their life with each blast of firecrackers.
One can choose to overlook these FACTS for enjoying the festivity of Diwali. But these appeal to my sense of humanity, and thinking about them, I cannot burn firecrackers. .
If they appeal to you, you could at least minimize your firecrackers stock, if not eliminate them totally.
LikeLike ·  · 
  • Nirupam Anand Minimising both the volume and the sheer threshold of the crackers ( below certain db impact/ size) by adding awareness or taxing the higher impact/ size ones heavily could go quite far
  • Abinash Sarangi These are not FACTS. these are inferences derived from observations (facts are conclusions / data from an experiment outcome). Fact is: Surge in NO2, surface ozone and CO level above a particular threshold is considered harmful for humans. Sure numbers suggest an increase in these in a sample of the atmospheric air close to ground during diwali celebration time of the day yet it does not suggest crossing the harmful threshold. Also when averaged year over year it does not add up and increase the yearly average for each subsequent year.. suggesting its a temporary effect. Similar experiments for an industrial area, area prone to heavy traffic and some geo location with volcanic activity would suggest a much higher number which increase year over year. Suggesting we need to control vehicular traffic and regulate industrialization more urgently. Diwali has no long term affect.
  • Anand Shankar I see the scientific being in you is all aroused. I was appealing to the human being though.
    I am not arguing for or against the long term effects here. I am talking about the common man who is allergic and is pained due to immediate effects of burning firecrackers. 
    I don't know if you have seen the dogs running for their life every time a firecracker goes boom. I have and I feel sorry for them. 

    Applying my common sense, I chose to call it a fact. You can call them observations. I will not argue over that.
  • Abinash Sarangi Do you eat nonveg?
  • Abinash Sarangi Good. Then I guess a more urgent appeal would be to ask people stop eat nonveg as it kills millions of animals and bird compared scaring some thousand dogs. Besides honking has a worse effect and there are on an average 80000 to 100000 reported dog bites in india every year. But I dont think dog death number due to diwali noise would be anywhere near.. all am saying is its something we enjoy and does not really harm others..
  • Anand Shankar 1. I have already made a facebook appeal against eating non-veg. (cow slaughter status) over which a few people had intense debate.

    2. I am against 'unnecessary' honking. I made a printed tshirt against it.


    3. I am not saying its a SIN to burn firecrackers or those who burn it are lesser humans. I said these observations appeal to my sense of humanity. So, those who wish to enjoy should go ahead.

No comments: